Removing OnlyShowIn / NotShowIn from desktop actions

Jasper St. Pierre jstpierre at mecheye.net
Tue Jul 2 14:54:50 PDT 2013

Now that we're trying to implement desktop actions in GNOME, we're running
into the issue that a lot of existing desktop actions are using OnlyShowIn
/ NotShowIn incorrectly. For a quick example, Transmission's actions are
being marked as only showing in Unity:

https://trac.transmissionbt.com/attachment/ticket/4804/0104_add_keywords.patch

I'm curious what the original rationale for adding OnlyShowIn / NotShowIn
to desktop actions. Personally, I think applications switching behavior
based on what desktop environment they're in is wrong. I'm curious if we
can remove these fields for desktop actions from the desktop entry
specification, since I cannot think of a valid use case for
environment-specific actions.

--
  Jasper