Removing OnlyShowIn / NotShowIn from desktop actions

Ryan Lortie desrt at desrt.ca
Tue Jul 2 17:48:55 PDT 2013

hi Ted,

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013, at 18:09, Ted Gould wrote:
> The use case was two fold.  First there was concern that some desktops
> might not want to implement the actions

I don't understand this at all.  The idea that because gnome-shell
doesn't implement actions, we should add OnlyShowIn=Unity is a strange
one.  It's like saying "since we know it won't do anything on GNOME,
let's really really make sure that it really does nothing."

> or might implement them differently.

This is a good point that I hadn't considered before.  Maybe gnome-shell
would show them in a place that Transmission considered inappropriate.

Perhaps we should clarify in the spec what the expectations are about
how these additional actions should be displayed?

I'd particularly like clarity on the point of what happens when the
application is running since Transmissions's actions appear to be geared
towards only being useful when it's not running ("Start with all
torrents paused", etc).

> It seems to me like they are using the values correctly, but have been
> set more specific than you'd prefer.  I'd imagine that most upstreams
> would be willing to accept patches to adjust the values if GNOME Shell
> is getting support for them.

This is my general opinion as well.

It seems that after we resolve the issue of gnome-shell showing the
items in a right-click menu of the dash (if they want to) and/or specify
the expected behaviour in the spec, we could then successfully convince
apps to remove this use of OnlyShowIn for desktop actions (as you
suggest above).

After all apps stop using the option, though, one then wonders why we
would have it at all....

For what it's worth, I don't have a strong opinion on this either way.

Cheers