Removing OnlyShowIn / NotShowIn from desktop actions

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at debian.org
Wed Jul 3 10:27:16 PDT 2013

Le 03/07/2013 17:29, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> in the specific example given, i really don't understand why a "start Qt
> project" would have anything whatsoever to do with the shell.

Because when you use an environment, there is a good chance you want to
write an application using the framework used there.
It's somewhat a distribution issue, but it's an issue...

Let's say but under the default Ubuntu desktop we want our IDE to
default to have an entry "create a project for Ubuntu Desktop" and an
entry "create a project for Ubuntu Touch". That makes sense for us an
our default desktop. Let's say we use qtcreator so we patch the .desktop
to add those in Ubuntu. So far, so good. The issue is that, e.g Kubuntu
is using the same package, and they probably don't want their default
projects to including Ubuntu Touch ... you end up have different
distribution/flavor/desktops wanting different items in their list.

Sure we could have 2 desktop files, a qtcreator-ubuntu.desktop with the
Unity list and OnlyShowIn=Unity, and one qtcreator-kubuntu.desktop with
OnlyShowIn=KDE ... but at this point we do use OnlyShowIn and we end up
duplicate files on disks rather than just sections of the file. I'm not
sure it's any better (I would even say it's less good since we have UI
that list all available .desktop in some occasion and we do end up
having confused users on the duplicate qtcreator entry)

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher