Removing OnlyShowIn / NotShowIn from desktop actions

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jul 3 14:04:40 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, July 3, 2013 19:27:16 Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Le 03/07/2013 17:29, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> > in the specific example given, i really don't understand why a "start Qt
> > project" would have anything whatsoever to do with the shell.
>
> Because when you use an environment, there is a good chance you want to
> write an application using the framework used there.
> It's somewhat a distribution issue, but it's an issue...
>
> Let's say but under the default Ubuntu desktop we want our IDE to
> default to have an entry "create a project for Ubuntu Desktop" and an
> entry "create a project for Ubuntu Touch". That makes sense for us an
> our default desktop. Let's say we use qtcreator so we patch the .desktop
> to add those in Ubuntu. So far, so good. The issue is that, e.g Kubuntu
> is using the same package, and they probably don't want their default
> projects to including Ubuntu Touch ... you end up have different

You apparently live in more segregated world than the rest of us.

I know people who write QML applications for Ubuntu Touch in a Plasma Desktop,
and people who write Plasmoids in Gtk+ based desktops.

As I noted in my first email, this feature is a great way to build artificial
lock-in. Thank you for demonstrating my point so clearly.

Given that this is the only use case so far presented, I hope we can gain
consensus on *xdg* (the 'cross desktop group') to drop this feature in the
bin.

--
Aaron J. Seigo