Removing OnlyShowIn / NotShowIn from desktop actions

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Jul 3 15:34:27 PDT 2013

On quarta-feira, 3 de julho de 2013 19.27.16, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Because when you use an environment, there is a good chance you want to
> write an application using the framework used there.

That's unrelated to the problem at hand, even if we assume that it is true.

The only use-case I can see for the entries is the following:
 1) user has two desktop environments installed
 2) user has two non-integrated applications installed that provide the same
     (semantic) action
 3) user frequently switches between the two desktops

In that case, the user may want to see only one of the two applications in
each desktop.

Please pay attention to the "non-integrated" part. Actions that are really
part of a desktop and no make sense outside it, should not be installed
globally where the other desktops can see them. Integrated actions should be
application-specific.

The worst case scenario here is that someone has two applications of the same
type (say, two BitTorrent clients) and then there are two similar actions in
the menu (say, "Create .torrent for file with KTorrent" and "Create .torrent
with Transmission").
      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358