[udisks] Can't automount disks

Gilles codecomplete at free.fr
Fri Mar 8 03:20:02 PST 2013

On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 22:16:10 +0100, Stef Bon <stefbon at gmail.com> wrote:
>policykit AND udisks are not started both.
>
>take care both are started.

Thanks. I'm pretty much in the dark about what HAL, udisks,
ConsoleKit, PolicyKit are.

Apparently, HAL is now replaced with udisks to manage operations on
hardware, while ConsoleKit and PolicyKit manage how non-root users are
allowed to access priviledged processes (ConsoleKit = console-based
access, PolicyKit = desktop-based access).

FWIW, when I simply run "# /usr/libexec/polkitd", it says:
===================
"Entering main event loop
Connected to the system bus
Registering null backend at priority -10
Error loading /var/run/ConsoleKit/database: Error statting file
/var/run/ConsoleKit/database: No such file or directoryUsing authority
class PolkitBackendLocalAuthority
Acquired the name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1"

Do I also need ConsoleKit, or is udisks + polkit enough to
double-click and access a partition?

How do I configure PolicyKit so I'm allowed at least read access to
NTFS/FAT32 partitions?

Thank you.