desktop-file-install or xdg-desktop-menu ?

Rodrigo Silva linux at rodrigosilva.com
Thu Mar 28 18:45:16 PDT 2013

Recently, after using xdg-desktop-menu for years to install .desktop files, I noticed there is also a tool from Freedesktop called desktop-file-install.

Judging by their manual, they both seem to have very similar functionality.

So, why 2 tools from same vendor to cover basically the same funcionality? Which oene should I use, and why? Are there any difererences in compatibility or the way they perform their actions?

Rodrigo