Debian testing: KDE/freedesktop still displays old application icon

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Apr 2 07:49:58 PDT 2014

On Saturday 15 March 2014 12:49:47 Felix Natter wrote:
> hi,
>
> I am maintaining the Debian "freeplane" package. The current version
> 1.3.7 that I am preparing has a different icon than freeplane 1.2.23
> which is currently in the Debian archive.
>
> Now, when installing the 1.3.7 package (not published yet), the KDE
> panel [1] (and sometimes GNOME's nautilus, but that may be a problem on
> another computer) still displays the old icon (though I think that
> Debian replaces _all_ files when updating a package).

If this is a KDE-specific issue, you might want to post it to kde-
devel at kde.org

> and /usr/share/mimelnk/application/x-freeplane.desktop
> (is this still needed?):

No, mimelnk died together with KDE 3.

> => Could it be that "debhelper" does not properly use 'xdg-icon-resource' /
> 'xdg-desktop-icon' for installing icons?

No idea about debhelper.

> => (Could it possibly be that KDE uses some broken caching?)

It could be that you're hitting a bug in the KDE icon cache, you could try
removing ~/.kde/cache-$HOSTNAME/icon-cache.kcache

> => how can I debug this?

strace -e file <app>, after removing the icon cache.