defaults.list or mimeapps.list?

Samuli Suominen ssuominen at gentoo.org
Wed Feb 5 22:10:18 PST 2014

On 03/02/14 04:50, Rex Dieter wrote:
> David Faure wrote:

>>> See "Default application ordering" on
>>> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/mime-actions-spec/
>>>
>>> In effect, its a bit implementation specific... gnome uses defaults.list,
>>> kde uses a mixture of InitialPreference= key and mimeapps.list
>> This is a strange way of presenting it. The same mixture exists
>> everywhere.
>>
>> The environment defaults are environment-specific, using defaults.list in
>> Gnome and InitialPreference= in KDE.
>>
>> On top of that, mimeapps.list is standard, and can be used at the system
>> level (/usr/share) by ISVs
> In my experience, stuff set in mimeapps.list in /usr/share isn't used by
> gnome.  Should I go retest that?
>
> -- Rex

I'm sure it's used by GNOME and Xfce.

Personally I always thought that defaults.list was the global file,
because that's what the Debian GNOME Team is using
to set their default applications for the users
And that mimeapps.list in user's own local directory was to override
that global defaults.list
I see now I was wrong, and that mimeapps.list can also be used globally
and that Debian still using defaults.list is just for historical reasons

Xfce's utilities modify mimeapps.list at users directory when defining
preferred applications / file associations
I would expect GNOME to do same thing thesedays

So heck, just to drop the confusion, could the defaults.list be declared
obsolete somewhere so that the confusion stops?