volatile config data and XDG Base Directory spec

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Wed Feb 19 06:17:44 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 2014-02-19, 08:03:36, Ryan Lortie wrote:

> In general, I'd like to tell people that "If your program wants to
> install things like plugins|fonts|etc, put them in XDG_DATA_HOME.  All
> other state goes in XDG_CONFIG_HOME.  This includes things like
> databases and game state and save files."

I think that cat is out of the bag.
Applications have been using DATA_HOME for data for quite a while now.
If we want to have an INSTALL_HOME [1], we should add that.

Using CONFIG_HOME as the root for everything doesn't sound like a good idea,
IMHO even worse then using DATA_HOME for everything.

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] which would have the added benefit of being something that can be passed
to a user local software build, e.g. configure --prefix $XDG_INSTALL_HOME

KDE user support, developer mentoring