volatile config data and XDG Base Directory spec

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Wed Feb 19 06:21:15 PST 2014

On Wed, 2014-02-19 at 08:03 -0500, Ryan Lortie wrote:

> We'd also like to tell people that applications putting data in
> ~/.config/ are expected to use the D-Bus style naming scheme to select a
> directory for themselves.  We would enforce this for sandboxed
> applications. OS components would be exempted from this restriction
> (both as a matter of policy and enforcement).
>
> In general, it is expected that you do not place such a subdirectory in
> ~/.local/share/ -- rather you would install into one of the "well know"
> directories for fonts, etc.  An exception is if your program has
> something like plugins and you have a system directory for that as well
> -- then you could name this in the D-Bus style.

What we're doing for Ubuntu application confinement is similar, but
we're allowing for a directory in XDG_DATA_HOME for the application as
well.  We don't want an application intermingling of its data into well
known directories in there, and would prefer that they are separate.
We're not using a DBus style name specifically, but very similar, in
that a Click package name is a reverse domain name as well.  But, it
doesn't specify the application in the Click package (there can be more
than one).  This allows those applications to do things like share a
cache.

Ted