volatile config data and XDG Base Directory spec

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Wed Feb 19 09:41:40 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 2014-02-19, 18:16:24, Richard Hartmann wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 3:17 PM, Kevin Krammer <krammer at kde.org> wrote:
> > [1] which would have the added benefit of being something that can be
> > passed to a user local software build, e.g. configure --prefix
> > $XDG_INSTALL_HOME
> Just to play devil's advocate: If that's unset, bad things can happen.
> Yes, whatever is parsing --prefix should guard against it, but still.

Yes, true, I wasn't actually suggesting that literaly :)

Like the other variables there would be a specified default, so configure (or
whatever) could peform the check and fall back to the default or a shell
substitution expression could be used, etc.

I think the usual syntax for meaning "the value of the variable or, if unset
or empty, the default" is to use the name in all lower case.
So confgure --prefix $xdg_install_home :)

Anyway, just wanted to point out that if there is a need for a location that
can host user installed extension instead of data, then the better approach
might be addng a location for that instead of moving data to a new one.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring