More about "intents": Several improvements to desktop files and caches

Ryan Lortie desrt at desrt.ca
Sun Jan 5 19:59:29 PST 2014

hi,

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014, at 22:50, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
> Categories are a set of defined categories used for grouping in menu
> systems. They're fairly loosely defined, and I don't think they make a
> good fit for intents.

They may be loosely defined in terms of what it means to be one, but
they are very rigorously defined in terms of what the valid values are.
The desktop entry spec refers you to the menu spec, which list them off:

  http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html

In a way, this is the exact opposite of what we're trying to do with
Implements=, which aims to be openly extensible by anyone who wants to
define their own interface, but very well-defined on an item-by-item
basis.

The intended usage is entirely different as well.  It's pretty clear
that categories are entirely meant for grouping in menus (or similar
things).

It would also be very strange to see reverse-DNS style interface names
listed alongside things like "Network" and "Graphics".

I think a separate key is warranted.

Cheers