Extending xdg-user-dirs

Dominique Michel dominique.michel at vtxnet.ch
Wed Jan 15 15:56:00 PST 2014

Le Wed, 15 Jan 2014 22:29:49 +0100,
Alexandre Franke <alexandre.franke at gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 8:00 PM, Cosimo Cecchi
> <cosimo.cecchi at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> Hey,
>
> > Feedback welcome!
>
> Music player usually get all the content of the Music directory and
> then grab metadata to present the tracks filtered by
> artists/albums/whatever. This is relevant for your virtual disc
> collection, not so much for the notes you record with your sound
> recorder, or the multi-track recordings you're working on with your
> band in a DAW.

I don't think it is relevant even for all music players. They all have
their own way to deal with the files they can read, and sometime it is
so different it is not even possible to have the same directories for
their play lists. Some players use directly the play lists, other manage
their own internal play lists in some kind of private database, that
from both audio files like .mp3 and play list files like .m3u.

You may also have to deal with problems like do I add the file in the
current play list queue, or at the top of the play list and play it
directly? Each player have its own way to deal with that. Some don't
care and impose a policy, some have a preference setting, others use
command line options, and some have both a preference setting and
command line options.

Another issue is that play lists can be about audio or video. So where
is the best place to put them? Video/Playlists and Musique/Playlists,
or Playlists/Video and Playlists/Musique? It is Playlists/* in
FVWM-Crystal, which made possible to have play list in one central
place for every thing.

Dominique