XDG base directories and trash outside $HOME device

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Jun 13 00:55:05 PDT 2014

On Thursday 22 May 2014 12:26:29 Maurício Antunes wrote:
> Is it okay to have $XDG_DATA_HOME in a device that is not the same
> as $HOME?

It's unusual, but I don't see anything that would forbid it.

> Should not that trash spec quote be refrased to say just that the "home
> trash" should always be used for files trashed in the same device,
> but not that it's an user's main trash dir?

I have no objection to this spec change.
The word "main" doesn't mean much anyway.
The phrase "home trash" is clear (and represents a trash directory with a
differently constructed path from the other ones), you just have to ensure the
spec never says that it's necessarily for trashing the files from home even if
that's the most common use case for it :-)

Working on KDE Frameworks 5