Draft of proposed new XDG Desktop Application Autostart Spec

Mark Edgington edgimar at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 18:04:44 PDT 2014

Hello everyone,

In an effort to rectify some of the issues which the current Desktop
Application Autostart Specification has, I've drafted an updated
version of this spec that includes some new keys which I think should
make the spec a bit cleaner and easier to implement in a way where
different sessions / desktop-environments are able to be decoupled
from each other.  I welcome any comments and criticism!  Also, feel
free to fork the spec and make any modifications you would see as a
way of improving it.

One of the big issues, of course, is how you go about changing a spec
that is already at least in large part being supported by different
desktop-environments.  If you take a look, I haven't changed the spec
very much, but rather have deprecated certain keys, and introduced new
keys to replace their functionality.  If a desktop-environment is able
to understand the new keys, then it should use them, whereas if it
can't, it can still rely on the old deprecated keys.

The (dynamically updated) latest version of the proposed spec is located at:

    https://bitbucket.org/edgimar/xdg_autostart_spec/src/tip/xdg_autostart_spec.md

Regards,

Mark