Getting the right xdg-menu category name given a xdg-desktop file?

Jasper St. Pierre jstpierre at mecheye.net
Mon May 12 09:53:22 PDT 2014

Look at /etc/xdg/menus/gnome-applications.menu:

  <!-- Internet -->
  <Menu>
    <Name>Internet</Name>
    <Directory>Network.directory</Directory>
    <Include>
      <And>
        <Category>Network</Category>
    <Not><Category>X-GNOME-WebApplication</Category></Not>
      </And>
    </Include>

    <Exclude>
      <!-- Utilities exclusions -->
      <Filename>vinagre.desktop</Filename>

      <!-- Sundry exclusions -->
      <Filename>javaws.desktop</Filename>
    </Exclude>
  </Menu>   <!-- End Internet -->

Alacarte loads the existing menu file, notes the category it was in, and
puts an Exclude for it.

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 12:41 PM, Jerome Leclanche <adys.wh at gmail.com>wrote:

> If you're looking for code,
> https://github.com/lxde/libqtxdg/blob/master/xdgmenu.cpp is a good
> starting point.
> J. Leclanche
>

> On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 5:26 PM, José Félix Ontañon
> <fontanon at emergya.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to build an app that automatizes the excluding of some
> launchers
> > from menu, by tweaking ~/.config/xdg/menus I've noticed the Categories in
> > the xdg-desktop aren't the same as the menu names in xdg-menu.
> >
> > So, the question is given a .desktop file, how to know the name of it's
> > corresponding menu?
> >
> > ::Example::
> >
> > The firefox desktop file has as categories:
> > Categories=GNOME;GTK;Network;WebBrowser;
> >
> > But the the menu names that needs to be indicated to exclude firefox from
> > the menu is Applications->Internet. Below the code produced by Alacarte:
> >
> > <Menu>
> >     <Name>Applications</Name>
> >     <MergeFile
> > type="parent">/etc/xdg/menus/gnome-applications.menu</MergeFile>
> >     <Menu>
> >         <Name>Internet</Name>
> >         <Exclude>
> >             <Filename>firefox.desktop</Filename>
> >         </Exclude>
> >     </Menu>
> > </Menu>
> >
> > I don't understand how Alacarte got that Applications->Internet path
> given
> > the firefox.desktop file.
> >
> > Regards!
> >
> > --