xkb issue - types not recognized

Jerome Leclanche adys.wh at gmail.com
Mon May 19 04:23:32 PDT 2014

I think an x11-related list might get you some better answers. However
as it happens I made my own xkb layout a while ago. The bad news is I
never quite figured out how to install it as a separate layout, so
what I do is actually replace symbols/us with my layout.

I don't think you're supposed to edit anything in X11/xkb/rules, the
package manager ships all the files in there and nothing would survive
an xkb-common upgrade. To add insult to injury, xkb does not look in
$XDG_*_HOME dirs so you cannot install your keyboard layout locally.

The very unscalable advice I got a few years ago when asking an xkb
dev was "Just send us your layout and we'll add it upstream". I'm not
sure if the situation has improved since - if it has, please let me
know about it :)

J. Leclanche