relative paths in Exec= in .desktop and .service files

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Sep 8 09:19:53 PDT 2014

On Monday 08 September 2014 13:23:05 Simon McVittie wrote:
> * it's relative to the directory containing the executable that is
>   interpreting the file, e.g. dbus-daemon[.exe], i.e. normally /usr/bin
>
> * it's relative to the getcwd() of the process that is interpreting
>   the file, i.e. normally / or $HOME
>
> * it's relative to the directory containing the file itself,
>   i.e. normally /usr/share/applications

The first two options might be valid for D-Bus and dbus-daemon, but they can't
be for the desktop file specification since there are multiple processes
processing them, which means a wide variety of CWD and of installation
prefixes. Desktop files should be predictable, so I'd suggest we go for the
third option: relative to the file itself.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358