Identifying the real display server

Mattias Andrée maandree at member.fsf.org
Mon Apr 13 14:31:26 PDT 2015

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 14:17:20 -0700
Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:

> On Monday 13 April 2015 23:08:26 Mattias Andrée wrote:
> > Consider the URL parsing code too, and
> > the fact that you need in object oriented
> > languages need to create an instance of an
> > URL class. Additionally, we cannot assume
> > that the generic syntax covers all display
> > server's syntax. In fact, x11 is not
> > covered. There is also the complexity of
> > URL encoding the pathnames. In shell scripts.
> > Furthermore at least DISPLAY must remain
> > for because of legacy programs.
>
> I hadn't considered shell scripts. What's the use you're
> thinking for them here? To use as a wrapper for the
> front-end application but launching different backends or
> passing different options depending on the display server?

<https://github.com/maandree/epkill/blob/master/src/dpkill>
- pkill but it only kills programs within the same display.

> As for x11, it is covered just fine with x11::0.

But that is not convered by the generic syntax for URL:s.

It would have to be x11:///0 for :0 and x11:///0/1
or (less preferable) x11:///0.1 for :0.1.
And x11://localhost/0.1 or x11://localhost/0/1
for localhost:0.1

The generic syntax is
scheme://[[username[:password]@]host[:port]][/[path][?query][#fragment]]
And we must assume that libraries will parse <port> as an
integer.