Debugging xdg-open

Felix Natter fnatter at gmx.net
Sat Apr 25 04:02:33 PDT 2015

Felix Natter <fnatter at gmx.net> writes:

> hello,
>
> I am the author of a "freeplane" debian package, and the problem is that
> for a user, it runs successfully from a terminal, but not from a file
> manager (rightclick->run_as I think).
>
> Now I would like to debug this (possibly using xdg-open):
>
> - $ file bugreports.mm
>   bugreports.mm: Freeplane document
>
> - $ xdg-open bugreports.mm
> Opening "bugreports.mm" with LibreOffice Writer  (text/x-troff-mm)
> (even though Freeplane is listed first in right-click dialog in
>  nautilus)
>
> --> Is there another way to debug this? Will "Terminal=true" in a
> desktop file work? Do I need to run a command after I modify
> /usr/share/applications/freeplane.desktop?

I received feedback from the user. Strangely it works when starting
from xdg-open. Can I do one of the following?

Exec=/usr/bin/freeplane > /tmp/out.log 2>&1
Exec=bash -c "/usr/bin/freeplane" > /tmp/out.log 2>&1
Exec=bash -c "/usr/bin/freeplane > /tmp/out.log 2>&1"

Thanks and Best Regards,
--
Felix Natter