Managing dependencies

Jerome Leclanche adys.wh at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 14:57:40 PST 2015

> On 16 January 2015 at 22:44, Jerome Leclanche <adys.wh at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> xdg-utils does not depend on perl; all the tools are in shell. You
>> should talk to your distro.
>

> If you read back to the beginning of my thread, you'll see my suggestion to
> use Perl. Indeed, currently xdg-utils does not.

Your email is very confusing;  did you forget to send a part of it?
Anyway, if your thinking is that xdg-utils tools should be rewritten
in [x], well, go right ahead... If you remain compatible with the
current interface, I'm sure it'll end up being useful to someone.
Users won't care about any difference, and honestly no matter which
language they're written in they are unlikely to receive any more
contributions than they currently do, so you won't convince any
current maintainer of anything like that.
Don't get me wrong, they are *nasty* right now. But this is fairly
pointless. And why Perl of all things?

I reimplemented some xdg utils tools in Python because I needed the
functionality in Python for a side project. But they are useless and
you won't convince anyone to adopt them over what is known to work,
for the sake of technical debt in a project that has extremely low
activity overall.

J. Leclanche