[ANNOUNCE] xdg-app - desktop app sandboxing system

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Wed Jun 24 13:00:29 PDT 2015

On ons, 2015-06-24 at 12:51 -0700, Thomas Kluyver wrote:
> Thanks Alex,
>
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2015, at 12:20 PM, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > A runtime is very specific. It defines an exact ABI and is then
> > supposed to continue to support exactly that ABI. If anything that
> > you
> > need is not shipped in the runtime you chose to use, you need to
> > bundle
> > those with the app. In general you should not define your own
> > runtime,
> > doing that is analogous to creating (and supporting) your own
> > distro.
>
> Just to check, though, a user can have more than one runtime
> available
> on their system, right? I hope the distro doesn't decide on a single
> runtime that all apps must use.

Sure, multiple versions of multiple runtimes all installed in parallel.

> > ostree is used under the hood. But rpm/deb/whatever can be used to
> > construct the app on the developer side.
>
> But there's one package which users of all distros can install,
> correct?
> i.e. The app developer doesn't need to make an rpm package *and* a
> deb
> package and so on.

Once you made an app of it you don't have to care that the developer
used rpms to create the app. Its just a bunch of files in an ostree
repo.

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's an immortal flyboy rock star possessed of the uncanny powers of an
insect. She's a manipulative bisexual Hell's Angel with a knack for
trouble. They fight crime!