Batis - XDG-based packaging for Linux desktop apps

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Fri Nov 20 12:28:20 PST 2015

On Fri, 2015-11-20 at 19:30 +0000, Thomas Kluyver wrote:
> <snip>
> - Keeps it simple: Batis packages are based on prosaic things like
> tar
> and json - no fancy filesystem features or container technologies. It
> should be easy for a developer to to understand what Batis does, as
> well
> as how to use it.

No container means no sandboxing. As far as I'm concerned, that makes
it not be a realistic option for the future of the Linux desktop.

It also completely sidesteps the problem of dependencies that aren't
shipped by distributions, or shipped by some but not others (something
xdg-app does through frameworks).

Right now, Batis looks like "another package format" to me, nothing
else.