Proposing to extend the EWMH spec

Sebastian Geiger (Lanoxx) lanoxx at gmx.net
Mon Oct 5 05:59:27 PDT 2015

On 05/10/15 12:49, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-10-05 at 12:40 +0200, Sebastian Geiger (Lanoxx) wrote:
>> Anyway I think it does not really matter why I need this.
> I don't think people here will want to extend specs "just because".
What I mean was that this should not be seen a feature just for my
specific use case, but a way to make the specification more consistent
in multi-monitor setups. As a result other applications might profit
from this as well. I am not sure how many applications use
gdk_screen_get_monitor_workarea, but each application that does might
exhibit wrong behaviour if its run on a multi-monitor setup with panels
on secondary monitors. Especially since different window managers behave
different when the window size is set bigger then the available workarea
size.

Some WMs just ignore the setting and limit it to its maximized size,
others expand the window but it overflows _under_ the panel. Again
others ignore the size if it exceeds the available work area, except if
the size is equal to the monitor size at which point the window is
handled as a fullscreen window, which can have undesired side effects.