Spec to define the default terminal?

Thomas Gläßle t_glaessle at gmx.de
Tue Oct 20 03:37:27 PDT 2015

Thomas Gläßle wrote on 10/20/2015 12:23 PM:
> 1 a) invent a new variable e.g. $TERMINAL or similar that works like
> $BROWSER, i.e. something of the form TERMINAL=urxvt:gnome-terminal:xterm
>
> 1 b) invent a new variable e.g. $TERMINAL or similar that works like the
> one used by mimeopen, i.e. TERMINAL="xterm -e"
>
> 2) encourage the use of (and possibly semi-mandatory dependency on)
> gvfs-open/kde-open
>
> 3). invent a mimetype for terminal applications so available terminals
> can be iterated via .desktop files and a default can be requested in the
> mimeapps.list file, e.g.:

I forgot to mention option 4 which I saw lurking around:

4) use the binary x-terminal-emulator which is to be symlinked to
whatever terminal one wants to use.

  - [+] nice and simple
  - [+] possibly already supported by several subsystems?
  - [-] system-wide config (you have to modify PATH in order to change
it for users)