Spec to define the default terminal?

Vladimir Kudrya vladimir-csp at yandex.ru
Wed Oct 21 10:51:33 PDT 2015

On 2015-10-21 20:30, Per Olofsson wrote:

> I can't find any argument in the bug report for why having a MIME type
> for terminals would be more wrong than x-scheme-handler. Only you
> stating so :-)
>
> But you're right, it is more of a stretch. At least x-scheme-handler is
> about applications opening stuff.

MIME types describe files which are to be opened by applications.
Schemes describe URLs to be opened by applications.
Although terminals are applications themselves, in the context of
opening file/URL with some chosen application they are merely a method
of launching that application. So, neither MIME type nor scheme fits here.

On my Debian testing available xsessions are described for display
managers by desktop entries in the '/usr/share/xsessions/' dir. Maybe
something similar could be used for terminals: put desktop entries
describing terminals into '/usr/share/x-terminal-emulators/' or something.