Proposal: clean way of animating windows to/from system tray icons

Éric Tremblay xdg at deimos.ca
Tue Sep 8 11:44:08 PDT 2015

On 09/08/15 14:03, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:

> As far as I'm aware, Windows does not allow minimizing to tray icon
> geometry

Indeed it doesn't. That's up to the application to register a tray icon
(or other similar system such as indicator, etc) and use that icon to
interact with the user. It's pretty much the same in other graphic
environments, in one form or another. Microsoft were just the first to
call it a "tray".

My proposal doesn't change that, or the way it works. It simply adds
information that lets the window manager know where these icons are, so
that it can do an "open" or "close" animation to/from this icon when
appropriate - for example, if you close your IM client and the process
is still running and it has a tray icon. Or if a process that has a tray
icon (such as your IM client) decides to suddenly pop up a window. In
such cases, the "tray" icon, or "indicator" icon, "notify" icon,
whatever you call it, if it exists, should be used instead of
_NET_WM_ICON_GEOMETRY. This is why i developed this solution.