Proposal: clean way of animating windows to/from system tray icons

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 23:29:04 PDT 2015

On Tue, 08 Sep 2015 13:51:48 -0400
Éric Tremblay <xdg at deimos.ca> wrote:

> As for wayland, i don't know enough about it, but i would imagine it
> would be trivial to adapt this simple mechanism to wayland.

Hi,

well, there are a few of fundamental issues:

1. Wayland/desktop does not have a global coordinate system visible to apps.

2. Wayland does not have global identifiers for any client resources.

3. Wayland does not have a generic client-to-client communication
   mechanism, that is, there are no generic properties or anything you
   could abuse as IPC.

The first issue is a feature designed on purpose which we've fought
hard to keep.

The second issue is also a deliberate design, though there are cases
where it will be useful to explicitly create a handle for a wl_surface
or such, pass it to another process, and let that new process use it as
a reference to e.g. tell the compositor who spawned it. This protocol
extension is still to be designed.

The third issue is on purpose too. Client-to-client communications that
do not *absolutely require* specifically the display server to enforce
anything should not go through the display server. Besides, due issue
#2, there is no way a client could reference another client or its
resource at will to begin with. (Client actually means a connection,
that is, a wl_display instance; similar Xlib's Display created by
XOpenDisplay.)

There is also no such concept as "grab the server". You have to design
protocol extensions to be race-free from the start.

Regardless of whether your idea is a good one or not, in Wayland you
would somehow let the compositor know of the relationship between the
objects you want to associate, and then the compositor will just do the
right thing. Passing coordinates will not work on Wayland/desktop,
because clients cannot know where things are.

Thanks,
pq

PS. display server = compositor = window manager, all in one.