Proposal: clean way of animating windows to/from system tray icons

Éric xdg at deimos.ca
Wed Sep 9 19:01:36 PDT 2015

On 09/09/15 03:50, Philipp A. wrote:
> but this model is a classical server/client thing:
>
>   * your system update notifier checks if there are updates and allows
>     you to launch an (independent) updater
>   * your torrent downloader downloads torrents in the background and
>     allows you to lauch a GUI to interact with the queue (maybe it
>     allows multiple different clients)
>   * the CUPS server interacts with your printers. a notification icon
>     allows you to see the status of running jobs and to launch a print
>     queue application and printer config dialog

Exactly. I'm just trying to show the user that from his/her perspective,
there's a relationship between that window which just opened or closed,
and that icon in the tray/notify/indicator area. If the relationsip
can't be established or detected by the window manager (or the wayland
compositor, or whatever) then there's no little zoom animation showing
it, that's all.

> all of those aren’t cases where the client you open “goes to” the
> notification area once you close the window. you simply close some GUI
> interacting with the server/daemon running in the background which is
> represented by the notification area icon.

Of course the window doesn't actually "go to" or "come from" a tray
icon. It comes from a client process creating and mapping the window, or
closing/destroying it. Like i said, i'm just trying to show the user
what makes sense from a *user's perspective*. For example, "You just
closed the volume control window, here's where the volume icon is
located." ...or, "This window that just popped up is from your update
manager. Here's where the update icon is located."