Type=Webapp

Genghis Khan genghiskhan at gmx.ca
Mon Jan 4 20:43:54 PST 2016

Hallo,

I would like to propose a new type of Desktop shortcut.

Type=Webapp

Instead of having to repeat a Register Protocol Handler
procedure to add a "webapp", I suggest to create a .desktop
file to directory .local/share/applications/ instead of or
in addition to this procedure for two reasons:

 1. Not to have to repeat this procedure with every web
    browser.

 2. The ability to access a "webapp" with a click on a
    hyperlink in applications that are not web browsers.

Referring to API:
window.navigator.registerProtocolHandler(protocol, uri, title);

Type=Webapp is mostly, if not solely, intended for
associating web browsers with protocol MIME types.

Example Desktop Entry File (KiwiIRC as an example)

[Desktop Entry]
Version=2.0
Type=Webapp
NoDisplay=true
Name=KiwiIRC
Comment=Chat over the Internet Relay Chat network
Link=https://irc.freedesktop.org/%u
Icon=kiwiirc
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/irc;
Actions=Nickname;Register;MOTD; #actions might be useful

Please post your opinions and thoughts.

With regards,
  --GK