Type=Webapp

Genghis Khan genghiskhan at gmx.ca
Thu Jan 7 07:54:56 PST 2016

Hallo,

> Sent: Thursday, January 07, 2016 at 12:47 PM
> From: "Giles Atkinson" <Giles.Atkinson at citrix.com>
> To: "'Genghis Khan'" <genghiskhan at gmx.ca>
> Cc: "xdg at lists.freedesktop.org" <xdg at lists.freedesktop.org>
> Subject: RE: RE: Type=Webapp
>
> Genghis,
>
> > Please pardon me for being unclear.
>
> I did not think your posting unclear, but the details need
> to be worked out and described unambiguously before a new
> file sub-type can be added to the spec.  The existing
> specification could use some improvements in this area (see
> below).

Thank you.  It was a note to myself ;-)

> > I have answered to your queries, but, if you may, please
> > elaborate on the following part of your message:
>
> >> so is it intended purely for the "application" argument of
> >> "xdg-mime default"?  If not, what does it do?
>
> In my (limited) experience adding a desktop file with a MimeType
> line does not register a new MIME data handler with the Desktop
> system.  In fact it seems to have no effect at all.  I have
> tested KDE, Unity and (IIRC) GNOME.  To add a handler, the
> "xdg-mime default" must be used to associate the MIME type with
> the desktop file.

Yes, indeed so.  Now, I understand what you meant by "xdg-mime".

Webapp launchers are to be included, by user demand, in:
defaults.list
mimeapps.list

> The spec says this about the MimeType key:
>
> The MimeType key is used to indicate the MIME Types that an
> application knows how to handle. It is expected that for some
> applications this list could become long. An application is
> expected to be able to reasonably open files of these types using
> the command listed in the Exec key.
>
> There should be no priority for MIME Types in this field, or any
> form of priority in the desktop file. Priority for applications
> is handled external to the .desktop files.
>

> That suggests that there is no requirement for the key to do
> anything by itself.

Desktop Entry of type Webapp, which is, eventually, a hybrid of
types Application and Link would certainly use "xdg-mime" as it
is with Application type and would behave as a Desktop Entry of
type Application.

> > Indeed, there is no Exec key, only Link key, and such
> > launchers would be activated with a default web browser,
> > similarly to entries of Type=Link.
>
> >> The meaning of the Link item is unclear.  The spec
> >> defines the %u substitution as handling a URL, but yours
> >> is already in the tail of a URL.
>
> > Yes, this is because I did not figure of a better way to
> > realize it, so I did it in a similar manner to how it is
> > done within web browsers with what is known as "smart
> > bookmarks".  See http://ptaff.ca/smart/
>
> My French is not great, but if I interpreted that correctly,
> you are proposing nothing more than a parameterised variant
> of a Link desktop file.

I think so, yes.

> That seems a good idea, but it is not clear that it needs a
> new sub-type.  Have you considered the alternative of
> extending the Link format?

No, I don't think we need to extend the link format, because
it is almost identical to Application type, they are both a
Desktop Entry, but I could be wrong.

> I notice that the current spec does not describe the expected
> behaviour of Link and Directory files at all!

This is not directly related to our issue, am I correct?
What is Directory file?