Separate X Screens - possible on Intel Integrated HD Graphics?

Ken Taylor di604admin at embarqmail.com
Fri Jan 15 06:35:48 PST 2016

Good morning and pardon me if this is a dead end question.  I have seen
some references to it in the archives including a couple of responses
from Intel folks saying NO.  The most recent was dated 2011 so I am
hoping the answer may have changed.

I have a couple of Dell Inspiron 3050 PCs with "Intel HD Graphics". The
machines have two video outputs (Displayport and HDMI) and WILL drive
two monitors.  However, I have not been able to establish separate X
screens. Here is a little more detailed information about the hardware:

from lspci:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Atom Processor
Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display (rev 0e) (prog-if 00 [VGA
controller])
         Subsystem: Dell Device 0703
         Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
         Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
         I/O ports at f080 [size=8]
         Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
         Capabilities: <access denied>
         Kernel driver in use: i915

Operating systems include CentOS 7, Ubuntu Mate 15.10 and Linux Mint
Mate 17.3 although I do not think that is a limitation.

Can someone offer a definitive NO which will put me out of my misery - I
will fill one of the video sockets with epoxy and never connect two
monitors :-) Or a "yes it is possible" in which case I will continue
banging my head against the problem.

Many thanks,

Ken