mimeo

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Sat Jan 16 11:38:46 PST 2016

Hi everyone,

Several years ago I wrote a few command-line tools to manage application
associations. These were eventually merged into my project, Mimeo, which has
been mildly successful on Arch Linux as a desktop-agnostic file and URL opener.
The codebase was ugly because of the way it had been gradually hacked together
but it worked relatively well. Nevertheless, a completely rewrite in Python 3
has been pending for years.

I have finally taken some time to do it and the new codebase is now up. It is
much cleaner and it should be much easier to maintain. A number of
inconsistencies have also been fixed.

Here are some of the features:

* Open files and URLs by MIME-type associations.
* Support for user-defined regular expression argument matching for further
  customizability.
* Multiple commands to query information such as which desktops use a given
  application, which MIME-types are associated with which desktops and vice
  versa, the location of a given desktop file, the values of Desktop Entry
  fields for given desktop files, etc.
* Modify the user's mimeapps.list file by adding or remove associations or
  defaults.
* Options for determine if MIME-types are detected by name or by file content
  first.

Please check the project page[1] for more along with usage examples and help
messages. I would appreciate any feedback, in particular about any deviations
from the standard (at least when not using the --deprecated flag).

Incidentally, I have not found any "standard" way to determine which terminal
command should be used for Desktop Entries that specify "Terminal=true". If
there is none, perhaps an environment variable such as XDG_TERM_CMD could be
added.

Regards,
Xyne

[1] http://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/mimeo/