Separate X Screens - possible on Intel Integrated HD Graphics?

Liam R. E. Quin liam at holoweb.net
Sun Jan 17 15:25:03 PST 2016

On Fri, 2016-01-15 at 17:46 -0500, Ken Taylor wrote:
> Separate X screens gives me EXACTLY what I am after. That is why I
> asked the question.  Please see this page:
> http://jsmylinux.no-ip.org/basic-information/dual-monitors/ and have
>> look towards the bottom titled "Individual Panels".

It seems to me a reasonable thing to want. I used to use a similar
setup years ago on Sun hardware. But as far as I can tell the driver
for the Intel integrated graphics doesn't support multiple X screens in
that way. The NVidia driver does, but (of course) only for an NVidia
graphics card. On the other hand,
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/XineramaHowTo
has a configuration using xinerama and an intel card, so it may depend
on the exact card you have (and I think in that case they're trying to
get to a single desktop with multiple monitors, but disabling xinerama
mode may get you closer to what you want).

It might be easier to buy an NVidia or ATI graphics card (after
checking for support)... which is even possible on some laptops.

Liam

--
Liam R. E. Quin <liam at holoweb.net>
Words and Pictures from Old Books - http://www.fromoldbooks.org/