Separate X Screens - possible on Intel Integrated HD Graphics?

Michal Suchanek hramrach at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 21:06:55 PST 2016

On 17 January 2016 at 17:49, Ken Taylor <di604admin at embarqmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/17/2016 10:05 AM, rhkramer at gmail.com wrote:
>>

> Thanks rhkramer,
>
> I appreciate the vote of confidence.  Perhaps "separate X screens" is
> something which only a small percentage of user are multi-tasking enough to
> take advantage of. However, I am one of them. I do appreciate assistance and
> suggestions from other users as to how to accomplish what I am working on.
> I do not necessarily appreciate being told I do not want to do what I want
> to do.
>
> As to a HUGE monitor... I had thought about that. I could run 4 virtual
> machines each taking up 1/4 of the display.  But I just purchases two nice
> Dell 24" Ultrasharp 19:10 aspect ratio monitors. The left one is vertical
> and the right one horizontal. The vertical one is usually divided in half -
> Thunderbird on the top half and a virtual machine connected to my secure
> email at protonmail.ch on the bottom. I call up Firefox when I need it over
> top of the two or I may switch to another workspace first. On the right
> monitor I often have several things going on 3 or 4 workspaces.

Well, I use multiple monitors with single X screen in pretty much the
same way - except I can put any of the virtual desktops on any of the
monitors.

Since you have one portrait and one landscape monitor moving the
virtual desktops between the two will probably not be flawless. Still
that does not mean you need to configure the X server in such a way it
is impossible - you can just not do it.

As has been pointed out the Zaphod options should give you multiple X
screens but since next to nobody uses these there may be issues. In
fact, the very article you linked lists multiple issues when using
multiple monitors with separate screens.

Thanks

Michal