Separate X Screens - possible on Intel Integrated HD Graphics?

Ken Taylor di604admin at embarqmail.com
Mon Jan 18 07:28:21 PST 2016

On 01/18/2016 09:29 AM, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On 17/01/16 16:49, Ken Taylor wrote:
>>> On some of the industrial (process control) systems I've been
>>> responsible for,
>>> we put up to 4 monitors (with different displays) driven by one
>>> computer in
>>> front of a single operator.
> Multiple heads/outputs/monitors do not have to imply multiple X11
> 'screens'. They can, but they don't have to, and it's very rare to
> prefer multiple screens.
>
> 'Screen' is a jargon term in this context, like 'display' - I'm putting
> it in quotes to be unambiguous. If all your applications run with
> DISPLAY=:0, or equivalently DISPLAY=:0.0, you have one X11 'screen',
> potentially outputting to multiple monitors. If some of your
> applications run with DISPLAY=:0.1 and are permanently tied to a
> different set of monitors (probably a set of size 1), *that* is a second
> X11 'screen'.
>
> If you have multiple LCD/CRT/whatever monitors on one desk, or a laptop
> and a monitor, or a laptop and a projector, the option that is usually
> preferred is a single X11 'screen' spanning multiple monitors, with
> optional runtime switching between mirroring (same content on each
> output) and non-mirroring (different content on each output). That's
> what Xrandr normally does on modern systems, and as far as I'm aware,
> what all current desktop environments optimize for. It's also the X11
> equivalent of all the supported arrangements in Windows and OS X.
>
> For instance, on the laptop where I'm typing this (with Intel HD
> graphics, as it happens), here's what my output looks like:
>
> |----------|
> | monitor  ||--------|
> |          || laptop |
> |----------||--------|
>
> DISPLAY :0 --- screen :0.0 /-- HDMI2 --- monitor
>                             \-- LVDS1 --- laptop
>
> The equivalent with multiple 'screens':
>
> DISPLAY :0 /-- screen :0.0 --- HDMI2 --- monitor
>             \-- screen :0.1 --- LVDS1 --- laptop
>
> would mean I wouldn't be able to drag windows to and from the laptop, or
> copy and paste between the two screens, and I don't have enough
> historical X11 knowledge to know whether I'd need a second keyboard and
> mouse for that setup.
>
>>> I have to admit that the Linux / X window (and successor) terminology
>>> confurses me--when I say multiple screens, I mean multiple monitors
>>> driven by
>>> a single PC and different content on each, and, ideally (but not
>>> always the
>>> case) the ability to move content between displays and copy and paste
>>> to and
>>> from each.
> It sounds as though rhkramer may be one of the people Michal is thinking
> of, who has been confused by the unfortunate historical terminology,
> does want multiple monitors, but does not necessarily want multiple of
> the historical X11 construct whose jargon term is 'screen'.

> [...]
Thanks Simon,

I don't think this is really as complicated as you make it appear. If
you will look at the last option on this page
http://jsmylinux.no-ip.org/basic-information/dual-monitors/ titled
"Individual Panels" that is what I setup on my Nvidia card when I first
got the PC and two monitors in 2009 (Ubuntu 9.10). In 2010 I switched to
CentOS 6 due to an issue with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. I have been running
CentOS 6 ever since.   CentOS 6 uses Gnome 2 (this works with Mate on
CentOS 7 as well) and the tweaking involved:

1 - Setup separate X screens as shown on the referenced page using
nvidia-config.

2 - The only anomaly I found with Gnome 2 (same with Mate) is that the
icons on the Gnome panels on the left monitor (screen0) were
duplicated.  This is easy to resolve.  Delete and add back each
launcher, menu or whatever to the panel. The issue never re-occurred in
5 years.

3 - Create two new panels at the top and bottom of the right monitor
(screen1). Add the desired menus, launchers etc. to these panels.

4 - Enjoy!

I can NOT drag a window between monitors - True.

I CAN copy/paste text, files, etc. from an application on one monitor to
an application on the other monitor.

I can run multiple instances of most applications independently by
simply selecting the launcher from the panel on the monitor on which I
wish to see the application. For example I have my "normal" Firefox
profile called by the launcher on the left monitor.  As part of my
nightly data backup process I make a copy of this profile. The Firefox
launcher on the right monitor calls the backup profile - thus I have all
but the latest bookmarks etc. available on the right monitor (some
privacy benefits as well but that is beyond the scope of this discussion).

My left monitor - pivoted vertical - usually has Thunderbird running in
the top half and a VMWare virtual machine running in the bottom half. I
use this to run a specially configured copy of Firefox to access secure
email on protonmail.ch.  At the moment I have Firefox running on the
host and accessing the above referenced page - it is showing in the
lower half of the screen - under Thunderbird and I can scroll it without
loosing focus from Thunderbird.

I have a bash terminal and vinagre (remote desktop viewer) on the first
workspace of the right monitor - connected to a Mint Mate machine which
I am configuring.  workspace 2 is running another virtual machine,
workspace is running vlc so I can play some music as I work - do not
want to be tripping over vlc and Nautilus pointed to my music library
when Alt-Tab-ing between windows on the first workspace. And I am not
doing much right now.

Bottom line... I setup the separate X screens when I first was able to
connect two monitors.  I have gotten used to the feature and have
adapted my work processes to it. Can I do it on Intel graphics? was just
an experiment as I had the little micro PCs with two video outputs.

Time to take a break - my step-son just called. I have to go fix some
sort of malware issue on his Windoze PC :-)

Ken