Current state of DPI settings under X

Vladimir Kudrya vladimir-csp at yandex.ru
Tue Jul 25 18:15:31 UTC 2017

Hi all!

I would like to know the current 'proper' way of setting DPI in X (if
there is any).
I see conflicting information on the topic, and different applications
seem to have different source of this setting. I currently counted 3 of
them:
   - fontconfig
   - xrdb
   - randr

Different versions of gtk2 seem to either demand or ignore dpi setting
in xrdb.
And there is also this recent change that gives xdpyinfo the ability to
state different DPI for different outputs simultaneously:
https://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2017-April/053430.html

Is there any DE- and toolkit-agnostic approach for letting applications
know the proper DPI and/or notifying them that DPI has changed?