Current state of DPI settings under X

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 09:00:40 UTC 2017

On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 11:09:44 +0300
Vladimir Kudrya <vladimir-csp at yandex.ru> wrote:

> Imagine a situation: a laptop that is used by itself, or docked at place
> A, or docked at place B, frequently moving around.
>
> In each case there are different display(s) and each configuration has a
> comfortable DPI setting (not necessarily matched with physical DPI).

Hi,

sounds more like scaling factor than DPI, but yes, that is a good and
valid goal.

> I apply xrandr configuration with needed DPI, some set of programs
> conform to this. I publish DPI to xrdb, another set of apps is affected,
> finally I configure fontconfig to affect the rest.
>
> I successfully automated the whole process recently
> (https://github.com/Vladimir-csp/rerandr3), it does the job more or
> less. But I feel the strong urge to choose 2 sets of apps out of these
> 3, declare their behavior as buggy and submit some bug reports, no
> matter how futile they may be.

I think Thiago is right.

Wayland - putting the compositor in charge of scaling, knowing how and
if apps scale themselves, and automatically compensating the scale
difference - at least offers the framework to solve those things. How
well it works depends on the Wayland compositor (DE) you choose.

Xwayland still has awkward issues with scaling people are trying to fix,
but I believe it is likely it will never become as good as native
Wayland apps can, particularly in mixed-dpi setups.

You are lucky if you can manage with a single global scaling factor at
any time. :-)

Thanks,
pq