Re: Pixels Per Inch needs to be standardized 🔍

Thomas U. Grüttmüller sloyment at gmx.net
Sun Mar 26 00:41:06 UTC 2017

On 04.05.2016 17:44, Alberto Salvia Novella wrote:
 > I would like to propose having a standard way of advertising Pixels Per
 > Inch, so applications can know its value independently of the desktop
 > environment in use.

The X server already advertises the DPI of the monitor.
I found this in /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

[  6882.546] (==) intel(0): DPI set to (96, 96)

Here, the resolution is set to 96 DPI although in reality, my screen has
120 DPI. And you know what: I want it to stay this way. Please don’t set
it to the true value. Or at least provide some means to change it back
to 96 DPI manually. The point in having a higher definition screen is to
fit a lot of stuff on it.

Thank you.
   Thomas