Questions about a unified API for file choosers (and platform/toolkit integration)

Emmanuele Bassi ebassi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 09:37:47 UTC 2017

On 27 March 2017 at 22:21, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> On segunda-feira, 27 de março de 2017 13:38:39 PDT Roman Hargrave wrote:
>> WRT moving towards flatpak, I realize that some people want that to be the
>> direction things go in, but I personally dislike it, as do many others. For
>> this reason, I think that there is still merit to working on
>> plain-old-userspace API's.
>
> The flatpak/AppImage/etc. concept is incompatible with the way that Qt
> integrates with the system (by way of plugins installed by the system), so at
> this time we wholly discourage our users from using those solutions.

Flatpak is not *at all* the same as AppImage, and there's KDE runtime
for Flatpak that already includes Qt, and a portal implementation that
allows GTK+ applications running under KDE to use a native file
selection dialog to open files from the sandbox:

  https://community.kde.org/Guidelines_and_HOWTOs/Flatpak

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--