xdg-user-dirs – purpose?

Thomas U. Grüttmüller sloyment at gmx.net
Thu Nov 9 14:10:18 UTC 2017

Hello,

I could not find within the documentation of xdg-user-dirs anything
about the *purpose* of these directories. For some dirs, their purpose
is obvious, for others not.

            DESKTOP

*Some* file managers display this folder in the root window. Others,
e.g. ROX, don’t.

            TEMPLATES

This looks very useful. You can put file templates there. Each of them
will generate a menu item in the file manager like “New HTML file…”.

            DOWNLOAD

This folder is a dump where the web browser will put all sorts of
downloaded files. After a short time there will be total chaos. :-(

            PUBLICSHARE

This looks interesting. Has it ever been implemented? It reminds me of
the public_html folder found in older distributions.

            DOCUMENTS

The purpose is not obvious. Gimp uses it as a default to save pictures;
Anki uses it to store its configuration files…

            MUSIC
            PICTURES
            VIDEOS

No program seems to use these folders. Their purpose is not obvious to me.

Greetings,
Thomas