Re: xdg-user-dirs – purpose?

Thomas U. Grüttmüller sloyment at gmx.net
Sun Nov 12 04:20:26 UTC 2017

On 09.11.2017 18:06, Jehan Pagès wrote:

>>             DOCUMENTS
>>
>> The purpose is not obvious.
>

> Well. "Documents" feels quite obvious to me. This is to save all kind
> of "documents". :P
> It is quite a generic term and I actually use it this way. Personally
> my Documents/ folder is very organized with many sub-folders per
> topic. Apart from some very specific files (music, videos…), most of
> my files go in a subfolder of Documents/. I basically use it quite
> similarly to how most people use $HOME. This allows my $HOME to stay
> quite clean in the end.

That’s very vague.

>>             MUSIC
>>             PICTURES
>>             VIDEOS
>>
>> No program seems to use these folders. Their purpose is not obvious to me.
>
> That's funny. These are the 3 folders which are the most obvious to me
> in the whole list! I mean, their names are pretty self-explanatory,
> no?
> As for I, I use them to store what their name say: music, pictures and
> videos. Also I am pretty sure they are commonly used by various
> software.

For each of those, I can think of four categories:

A) automatically saved files, such as screenshots, thumbnails, profile
pictures, example images, diagrams, webcam images etc.

B) downloaded, but manually reviewed and categorized files, i.e.
downloaded pictures, music, programs, movies, documentaries, manuals etc.

C) personal data, i.e. files that myself or a relative or friend has
worked on, i.e. my band’s music, home videos, my own drawings, family
pictures, letters etc.

D) archived files: files that should still be kept, but will propably
not change anymore, i.e. backups, completed or abandoned projects etc.

This should be clarified first, because it doesn’t make sense to mix
these categories.

Greetings,
Thomas