Dashes and underscores in desktop file IDs

rhkramer at gmail.com rhkramer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 12:38:54 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 07:28:08 AM Simon McVittie wrote:
> If there is consensus that the recommendation should be dashes and not
> underscores, I'd be willing to go with that instead, but I think we
> should pick one.

I'd like to cast a vote in favor of dashes instead of underscores, primarily
because (at least on US keyboards), typing an underscore requires pressing
<shift> while typing a dash does not.

I do agree that a standard would be nice--in lots of situations (not just app
names, but also filenames for example), either might be used, and if I need to
glance at a filename, store it in short term wetwork memory, I always have
trouble distinguishing and remembering whether what I saw was a dash or an
underbar.  It requires an extra level of concentration which I would prefer to
avoid.

(I suppose I will eventually train myself to look more carefully at things
like filenames with underbars or dashes rather than have to go back and look a
2nd time.)