[Freedesktop-sdk] Freedesktop sdk aka 'tiny base runtime' project

Laurence Urhegyi laurence.urhegyi at codethink.co.uk
Mon Oct 30 17:33:52 UTC 2017

Hi Thiago,

<snip>
> Can you give some background on what the problem is in the first place? What is
> a tiny base runtime? What is bst? Why was it chosen? Your text talks about
> replacing Yocto (a well-known, well-established project with 10 years of
> history) with bst, so you need to justify. Or I misunderstood you.
>
> If there have been previous discussions on this subject on other mailing
> lists, can you point them out?

I believe that Emmet and Tristan between them have addressed all of your
above points, so I shall focus on:

> I think I can guess why you want this in freedesktop.org, but can you write it
> out please? The bug report[1] asking for the mailing list creation did not
> include the justification.

To summarise, then:

* Freedesktop.org is a neutral location, not tied to one community and
we would like the base runtime to remain distribution / desktop neutral
and accessible to anyone or any project potentially interested.
* One specific thing we intend to amend is the current freedesktop
flatpak sdk, so freedesktop seems to be the right place to host this effort.

Let me know if I need to add this justification somewhere else as well
as just these mailing lists.

Laurence