A spec to set default terminal applications?

Ian Huang imyxhuang at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 00:26:44 UTC 2018

Hello, I'm just a regular GNOME user, but I recently stumbled across an
issue <https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/glib/issues/338> on GitLab that
brought up the concern that there seems to be no good way at the moment to
specify the default terminal to handle applications with the Terminal=true
field in their desktop files. GLib, for example, is hardcoded to use
gnome-terminal at the moment because no MIME type exists for this type of
function.

Anyway, it was brought up—both in the issue and on GNOME's IRC—that a MIME
type for terminal emulators (@borschty proposed something like
x-task/terminal) in the specification would make things a bit easier. Or
maybe there's a better way to do this using another method. All I know is
that having GLib and alternatives come up with their own way to set the
terminal seems to be a bit inconsistent and sloppy compared to the way in
which, say, URI handlers are chosen.

Thanks for the consideration,
Ian Huang (imyxh)