A spec to set default terminal applications?

Ian Huang imyxhuang at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 21:27:20 UTC 2018

Vladimir Kudrya <vladimir-csp at yandex.ru>

> Last year I proposed a mechanism for this purpose:
> https://github.com/Vladimir-csp/xdg-terminal-exec/

I like this proposal a lot, but it seems to me to be a little inconsistent
with the selection of other default handlers. Mostly just because it would
require a second desktop file for each application to put under the
xdg-terminals/ directory. Though I'm no X developer, I also can't think of
a cleaner way to do this, so I think it should be considered again.

Liam R E Quin <liam at holoweb.net>

> There's a MIME type for a shell script, which seems appropriate?

I also don't think using the existing shell script MIME
type makes sense . . . not all applications that run in terminals are shell
scripts, and it would seem to be more appropriate to reserve such a MIME
type to serve as only the shell-language equivalent type of, say, Python
scripts.

Ultimately, I think if the solution is to use a MIME type, I think it
should be a dummy one that assigns a terminal as its handler but does not
have actual files with the type. Such a decision would be to avoid the
terminal being the default handler for existing files, since really what we
want to do (as far as I understand) is to open .desktop files of type
text/plain and not shell scripts. Unless you want to make a new type
specifically for .desktop files that have Terminal=true selected. . . .