A spec to set default terminal applications?

Ian Huang imyxhuang at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 21:41:02 UTC 2018

Huh, good find. I was about to type up an email about how the "Implements="
key
that was added after that proposal is kind of useless in our case; as it
says,
"it is entirely up to the entity who defined a particular interface to
define
what it means to implement it." But then I realized that we can actually
use it
quite easily in addition to the proposed xdg-terminal-exec or
xdg-intent-exec
spec to avoid the need for duplicate desktop files for intent handlers.

It could work like this:
1. The X-ExecArg option (or X-ArgPrefix) in the proposed spec is moved from
the
   "data" directories with desktop files to part of the .list "config"
files;
2. the concept of "data" directories (the ones full of .desktop files) can
be
   left out;
3. terminals and other applications that open intents are instructed to have
   certain values in the Implements key, for example "Implements=xdg-intent-
   terminal" or "Implements=xdg-intent-calculator";
4. when we scan through the .list config files, instead of running the
matching
   app in the data directories, we check that the matching .desktop file in
the
   usual place (/usr/share/applications/ or ~/.local/share/applications or
   whatever) has the correct intent named in the Implements= key;
5. we just run that desktop file with the ArgPrefix specified in the .list.

It's only a little cleaner, though. Thoughts?