DBus signal to disable reminders/notifications

Simon McVittie smcv at collabora.com
Wed Dec 19 14:16:06 UTC 2018

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 at 22:21:24 +0100, David Faure wrote:
> Is there some spec that would allow to implement a desktop-wide signal in
> order to disable things like calendar reminders, chat notifications, new email
> notifications etc. during a presentation?

Would it be better for your chosen implementation of o.fd.Notifications to
(be configurable to) suppress some or all popups during presentation mode?
Then instead of having to send a broadcast to all interested apps, the
presentation software would just have to tell the single implementation of
o.fd.Notifications "I am doing a presentation, don't show popups", and
then later "I've finished doing a presentation and I no longer have any
objection to popups", a bit like the various "inhibit suspend" APIs.

The apps that create notifications would still send their messages to
Notifications, and they'd still build up in (for example) the GNOME
notifications list to be looked at later, they just wouldn't have any
immediate visible or audible effect.

The popups could even all appear together on exit from presentation mode,
if that's the UX that the o.fd.Notifications implementor wants.

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/964/do-not-disturb-button/ is a
non-automated implementation of this (it goes into do-not-disturb mode
when you click on it, rather than automatically).

Straw-man API (1):

    org.freedesktop.Notifications.GetCapabilities()
         Returns "presentation-mode" if this feature is supported

    method org.freedesktop.Notifications.EnterPresentationMode() -> void:
        Increment a reference count for presentation mode.
        PresentationMode is true if the reference count is > 0.
        When the caller (unique name) of EnterPresentationMode
        disappears from the bus, all of its references are automatically
        discarded.

    method org.freedesktop.Notifications.LeavePresentationMode() -> void:
        Undo one prior call to EnterPresentationMode.
        Return an error if the caller (unique name) does not own any