DBus interface for meeting creation

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Mar 13 13:11:45 UTC 2018

As part of a conference protocol plugin for Pidgin (like the one for
Lync), we have the ability to create meetings.

We need to spawn a "new meeting" editor in the client of the user's
choice, pre-populated with meeting dial-in information, conference-
specific attendees, etc.

I've implemented a plugin for Evolution which supports this:

dbus-send --print-reply --dest=im.pidgin.event_editor \
       /im/pidgin/event_editor im.pidgin.event_editor.CreateEvent \
       string:"Organizer <dwmw2 at infradead.org>" \
       string:"Meeting summary" \
       string:"Meeting location" \
       string:"Meeting description" \
       array:string:attendee1 at example.org,attendee2 at example.org

Right now I'm shipping that Evolution plugin as part of my own code
base, but I think it makes most sense to standardise the DBus API and
split it out. Then it can be implemented in other calendar
applications, and used from other places (like the Lync plugin for
Pidgin, at least).

Does it make sense for this to be a fd.o specification?